Sin City Tattoo offers some of the best tattoos in Melbourne. This region of Australia is home to many tattoo parlours. Melbourne area natives and visitors consistently turn to our experienced, licensed tattoo artists thanks to our emphasis on high quality and customer satisfaction!
Sin City Tattoos in Melbourne uses only the best, high-quality pigments, along with sterile one-time-use equipment such as tattoo needles and pigment cups. But the process doesn’t end when you leave the tattooist! Melbourne area natives turn to Sin City Tattoo Parlour time and time again because we provide comprehensive tattoo aftercare instructions to our clients.
Why is tattoo aftercare important? You can get the best tattoos in Melbourne, but if you fail to care for your tattoo after you leave the studio, there’s a chance you’ll end up with a very colourful scar instead of a beautiful piece of custom body art! So you must care for your body art to prevent scabbing and infection.
When your body art is finished, the tattooist will apply a thin coat of ointment over the tattoo. Then, the tattoo artist will apply a bandage. This is very important, as the bandage will soak up any residual bloody discharge, which is commonplace in the hour or two following the tattooing process. If you remove the bandage too soon, the blood will dry and a scab will form. Scabs can ruin your tattoo! The scabbing can literally pull the ink out of your tattoo, resulting in faded colours.
You will be instructed to remove the bandage after approximately two hours after you leave Sin City Tattoos in Melbourne. Once the bandage is removed, you should keep the tattoo un-bandaged for the remainder of the healing process. Why? Bacteria -- especially Staphylococcus Aureus or “Staph” bacteria -- thrive in warm, dark locations with little air flow. A bandage creates a warm, dark location without much air flow, so this makes an atmosphere ripe for infection! And the one thing that’s worse than scabbing is infection! Staph infections can ruin the tattoo, causing pigment fading, distortion and scar tissue formation.
The licensed tattoo artists at Sin City Tattoos in Melbourne will provide you with information on how to care for and clean a tattoo during the remainder of the healing process. You’ll be advised to do the following:
- Keep the tattoo uncovered and un-bandaged while your body art is healing. This will help maintain airflow and it will lessen the chance of developing an infection.
- Wash the tattoo twice a day with anti-bacterial soap and water. Gently wash the tattoo and the surrounding area for two full minutes to kill off all of the harmful bacteria. Rinse well and pat dry with a sterile gauze pad.
- Keep the tattoo coated with a thin coat of A&D ointment to keep the area moisturised and to prevent the formation of scabbing. You don’t need to glob it on; a very thin coat is sufficient. If you’re prone to skin infections or if you have a compromised immune system, you may opt to use antibiotic ointment instead. But be sure to select anointment without so-called “pain reliever” properties. The ointments with pain relief properties contain ingredients can affect the brightness of the tattoo pigments.
- Wear loose, cotton clothing so the tattoo gets plenty of air. If possible, wear clothing that will enable you to leave the tattoo uncovered. It’s a great opportunity to show off your new body art!
Remember to keep the ointment on you at all times so it can be reapplied if necessary throughout the course of the day. Your new body art must not be allowed to dry out and scab.
The staff at Sin City Tattoos in Melbourne are happy to answer questions about washing and caring for a tattoo during the healing process, so don’t hesitate to ask or call if you run into questions! Few people are more knowledgeable than our tattooists! Melbourne natives are also invited to come into the shop if you have an enquiry.
Also, during the very end stages of the healing process, your tattoo will likely get itchy. It’s vital to avoid itching the tattoo at all costs! This can cause damage to the pigments and it can cause infection too. You absolutely, positively must avoid itching and scratching the tattoo.
The experts at Sin City Tattoo Parlours, Melbourne recommend the following if you experience itching during the tattoo healing process:
- Wash the tattoo with anti-bacterial soap and water if itching is severe. This will help remove dead skin cells which contribute to the itching sensation. Always pat dry with a sterile cloth.
- Keep the tattoo coated with A&D ointment, which will keep the skin moisturised.
- If itching is extremely bothersome, before applying the A&D ointment, rub in a thin coat of hydrocortisone cream to help combat itching. You can also take an anti-histamine to help alleviate itching.
- Apply a cold compress to the area for a minute or two to relieve the itching sensation without scratching.
The friendly artists at Sin City Tattoo Parlours, Melbourne are happy to answer any questions! To contact our tattooists, Melbourne natives can visit our shop at 60 Keilor Road, Essendon North. Or call us on 03 9379 1181.
Sin City Tattoo Parlours, Melbourne can also be reached at info@SinCityTattoos.com.au or via our website contact page.